Associate of Science LOUISIANA TRANSFER (ASLT)
Associate of Sciences Louisiana Transfer Degree Program Coordinator:
South Louisiana Community College
320 Devalcourt St.
Lafayette, LA, 70506
The Associate of Science Louisiana Transfer (ASLT) degree is a statewide transfer program. The program provides opportunities to acquire knowledge in a broad range of subjects, with an emphasis on science. A degree will be awarded upon the completion of a 39 credit hours General Education block, which is the core of the Louisiana Transfer Degree, as well as an additional 21 credit hours block, for a total of 60 credit hours. The courses required for the general education block are listed below. The remaining 18 credit hours should be completed within the subject areas of Natural Sciences. Students who have completed this degree (ASLT) will be granted upper division (junior) status at a Louisiana four-year public university.
IN SUMMARY, the Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees:
- Admission to a Louisiana 4-year public university;
- Transfer of all 60 hours; Junior-level standing;
- Completion of General Education block requirements at any Louisiana public university;
- Equal opportunity to compete against “native” students for admission to limited access program.
The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree does not guarantee:
- Admission to every university or degree program: A student must meet institutional or degree program admission requirements (e.g., GPA, specific course completions, etc.)
- Courses taken for the transfer degree will meet specified course requirements of the major
All students who might be considering an eventual transfer from one institution to another should develop, with an advisor’s assistance, a written degree plan of courses to take. It is the student’s responsibility to know the transfer admission requirements and to be as prepared as possible to complete for a place in the program.
- To enable students to acquire the general education competencies expected of an Associate of Science graduate
- To provide coursework that will allow students to transfer with minimal or no loss of credit to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the State.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Associate of Science Degree will:
- Demonstrate competence in written and verbal communication skills, quantitative reasoning and critical thinking
- Acquire the ability to think and reason logically, using the language of mathematics
- Acquire a broad knowledge of the natural sciences in the areas of both biological and physical sciences
- Acquire a broad knowledge of human behavior and the interrelationships between the individual and societal, political and economical systems, based on scientific inquiry
- Acquire the analytical and critical skills needed to connect core knowledge and skills to discipline-specific information at a higher level of study
Specific Degree Requirements
Students wishing to earn an Associate of Science Degree from South Louisiana Community College must:
- Earn a grade of “C” or higher in each course required for the AS degree
General Education Requirements (39 hours)
English Composition (6 hours)
Mathematics/Analytical Reasoning (6 hours)
Natural Sciences (9 hour )
Humanities (9 hours)
Social Sciences (6 hours)
Fine Arts (3 hours)
Electives (21 hours) in Natural Sciences
Concentrations are available in either Biological Sciences or Physical Sciences.